Von: IL Ka <kazakevichilya@gmail.com>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 28. April 2022 17:26
An: Debian Users <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Betreff: Re: Firmaware II

Is firmware not connected to the hardware?

Modern hardware (wifi adapter for example) is a tiny computer. Firmware is a special program that runs in it (much like you run Debian on your PC).
Hardware vendors provide firmware as blob: compiled piece of data without source (like Windows)) so firmware is not open source.
The problem is hardware can't work without firmware, so you still need to download it and install it inside of hardware.
Since Debian is an open source OS, it doesn't provide closed-source firmwares by default, and many wifi adapters simply do not work.
To fix that, user must explicitly add "non-free" repository to the list of apr repositories in Debian (you can do that during installation or later by editing sources.list) and then
install firmware package.
Debian loads it into hardware and it works after that.

Many people believe that everything (including firmware) must be opensourced, but we can't force hardware vendors to do that.
There is also a chicken-and-egg problem: you can't access the Internet to download firmware if your wifi doesn't work. To solve it, one may use special (unofficial) Debian installer