Re: Out of memory killer misconfigured?

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 04:23:38PM +0100, piorunz wrote:
Sorry but this happened to me a few times, each tome with the same Wine
program. it just loves to eat all available memory when its doing heavy
computations. When I am not careful and I start too many threads, is
eats all memory. My system gets killed every single time. I am not
extrapolating anything. Misbehaving app should get killed, but instead,
Linux kills itself.

Ok, not one experience, but one scenario. And there are plausible
reasons why this might be happening as outlined in my other mail to the
thread (OOM adjustments to make the killer skip over the process).
Occam's razor suggests something about your particular setup versus
the OOM killer simply being as bad as you think it is. FWIW, I invoke
the OOM killer a lot recently (due to some scientific experiments) and
the sensible processes were killed in my case, every time, leaving my
desktop functional.

More data about your setup is needed to fathom out what's going on.

--
Please do not CC me for listmail.

👱🏻	Jonathan Dowland
✎	 jmtd@debian.org