Re: Debian installer with a newer kernel

Thank you for your good hints, Andrew. My approach is different.

I am in the lucky position that the question is of theoretical interest
to me this time only, in the past I had cases where I had to use
testing, because the kernel of the installer was too old to support
basic functions of my hardware.

On IRC I was recommended to build a custom image of the d-i. This was
actually provided as a service in the past at
https://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/ but has been discontinued since long.

I found a short description for changing the d-i kernel at
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Modify/CustomKernel. I guess it
should work, as long as the kernel is not too new for the rest of the
system.

I think it would be great to provide such a (semi-)official support for
backported kernels in the installer again. There is probably a
significant number of users which use testing, just because they can't
install stable on their systems.

Regards,
Christian

--