Re: Strange syslog behaviour [Solved]

On Mon 11 Apr 2022 at 12:00:38 (+0800), Jeremy Ardley wrote:
> On 11/4/22 11:46 am, David Wright wrote:
> >
> > There are tabooext and taboopat directives for ignoring files in
> > logrotated.d, and I would have thought it reasonable to exclude
> > these sorts of housekeeping files by default, because they're very
> > likely to contain some duplication. I would file a bug against
> > logrotate.
> >
> Keywords tabooext and taboopat don't appear in /etc/*

Looking further into this, I see that tabooext has a sizeable default
list of excluded extensions, and this list is built into logrotate, so
a tabooext directive doesn't have to be specified in logrotate.conf.
The default includes the two extensions you mentioned.

The tabooext list can be appended to, but can also be overwritten if
the necessary + is forgotten. Can we assume you haven't done that?

> I did get a hit in binary file /usr/sbin/rsyslogd

If you mean rsyslogd and not logrotate, that's presumably in the
≥testing version (ie not buster or bullseye).

$ strings /usr/sbin/rsyslogd | grep -n -e dpkg -e rpm -e ucf
$ strings /usr/sbin/logrotate | grep -n -e dpkg -e rpm -e ucf
982:.dpkg-bak
983:.dpkg-del
984:.dpkg-dist
985:.dpkg-new