Re: backing up backups

On 4/10/22 22:15, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 09:44:59PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
On 4/10/22 19:58, Default User wrote:
Hello!

My setup:
- single home x86-64 computer running Debian 11 Stable, up to date.
- one 4-Tb external usb hard drive to use as a backup device, labeled MSD1.
- another identical usb hard drive, labeled MSD2, to use as a copy of the
backups on MSD1.
- the computer and all storage devices are formatted ext4, not encrypted.
- two old Clonezilla disk images from when I installed Debian 11 last year
(probably irrelevant).
- Timeshift to daily back up system EXCEPT for data directories.
- Back in Time to daily back up data directories.
- Borgbackup to also daily back up data directories.
- Rsync to frequently backup any changed data between the daily Back in
Time and Borgbackup backups of data directories, using this command:

sudo rsync -aAXHxvv --delete --info=progress2,stats2,name2 --exclude-from
"/home/default/rsync_exclude_list.txt" /home
/media/default/MSD1/rsync_backups_of_host_home_directory_only

Each type of backup is in a separate subdirectory on MSD1 (Timeshift, Back
in TIme, Rsync, etc.).

It "seems" to work okay, BUT . . .

Then I try to use rsync to make an identical copy of backup device MSD1 on
an absolutely identical 4-Tb external usb hard drive,
labeled MSD2, using this command:

sudo rsync -aAXHxvv --delete --info=progress2,stats2,name2
/media/default/MSD1/ /media/default/MSD2

See 'man 1 rsync'.  You have a slash at the end of SRC, but not at the end
of DEST.  I would add a slash after "MSD2":

The only thing I find in rsync's man page about trailing slashes
in the `dest' argument would be relevant if MSD2 didn't exist (in
the OP's case it seems it does, no?)

There are four combinations for rsync(1) SRC and DEST vs. trailing slashes. I use two -- trailing slashes on SRC and DEST for directories, and no trailing slashes on SRC and DEST for single files. The other two combinations may "work" under certain circumstances, but they have caused me grief in the past and I avoid them as a matter of habit.

David