Re: CUPS - how to match autodetected printers to physical ones

On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 08:19:52PM +0100, Brian wrote:

[...]

> > forbidden of trying to do network scans, but the sysadmin wants to
> > know. I can't blame him (I'm on speaking terms with him ;-)
>
> Not forbidden?
>
>   I know a corporate network or two which would get you disconnected
>   if you do that :
>
> Disconnected? That doesn't sound permissive.

In my book, forbidden would mean *you* get disconnected from the
institution. Your machine disconnected from the network and having
to do "pretty please" to the admin... I'd say "fair enough". Wouldn't
be *my* policy, but I can live with that.

> > > I was once reprimamaned by Amazon for nmapping my own network. That's
> > > what I call real devotion to stamping out network discovery.
> >
> > Now now. No reprimands. The firewall notices and disables that one port,
> > That's all.
>
> I was controlled by an inaminte agency? Is that any better than being
> controlled by an agent of survellance capitalism? Either way, my actions
> are monitored. My communications are intercepted and censorship applied.

Could be worse, believe me. At a lower protocol level [1] it's even part
of the protocol, i.e. mandatory :)

Cheers
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet#Jabber