Re: Maximum time for offline updates?

Le 21/12/2022 à 21:42, Georgi Naplatanov a écrit :
On 12/21/22 19:59, Yvan Masson wrote:
Hi list,

I am using testing with KDE (but I suppose the desktop environnent does not matter). I had a LOT of updates to apply today, so I used KDE Discover (Gnome Software equivalent for KDE) to apply those in offline mode, ie updates are dowloaded and then computer reboots in a special mode just to update packages, and reboot normally when finished.

However, update stopped before all packages where updated and computer rebooted with packages in a broken state.

When I look journalctl, I see beginning of the update process:

17:44:41 pk-offline-update[742]: sent mode to plymouth 'updates'

And exactly ten minutes later it stops brutally:

17:54:40 systemd[1]: packagekit-offline-update.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=15/TERM 17:54:40 systemd[1]: packagekit-offline-update.service: Failed with result 'signal'.

I suppose this maximum time comes somewhere from a systemd configuration or systemd unit, but could not find where. Any idea? Also, do you think I should report this issue? Against which package?

Hi Yvan,

I don't know what the problem is. Possible workarounds could be to try to upgrade the system from console:

- option #1
# apt update
# apt upgrade

- option #2
# aptitude update
# aptitude upgrade

Kind regards
Georgi

Hi Georgi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already know how to do that. I think offline updates are a good thing for "average user", so I would like either:
- knowing how to configure Debian properly so that it works realiably
- or reporting this issue somewhere so that it can be fixed in Debian/upstream

Regards,
Yvan