Re: Grub issue

On 29/11/2022 20:48, David wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 at 01:36, Andrew Wood <andrewjameswood@ymail.com> wrote:

Disclaimer: I have never done this with RAID, so using a GRUB
device looking like (md/x) is unknown territory for me.

ls (md/1)/boot shows the kernels and initrd images
Ok, based on that, if you still need help to boot the machine,
then you could try:

   set prefix=(md/1)/boot/grub
   insmod normal
   normal
# now see normal grub> prompt
# maybe tab completion works now
# maybe do 'set root=(md/1)' or some other value revealed by 'ls'
# but I dont think 'set root' is useful at this time, maybe later
   boot

If that doesn't get you into normal grub, you could try Tim's
approach:

   set root=(md/1)
# use 'ls /boot' to discover ...filenames under /boot (under that root)
   linux  /boot/vmlinuz-...  root=whatever usually is here, not grub's 'root'
   initrd  /boot/initrd.img-...
   boot

Thanks David &Tim

Unfortunately insmod normal is still giving file not found

ls (md/1)/boot/grub/i386-pc shows its not there.

When I try to run linux /boot/vmlinuz...

and initd /boot/initrd.img....

it says Unknown command 'linux' and Unknown command 'initrd'

Also, before you try any of that, it would be interesting if you
would tell us how GRUB responds if you try:
   grub rescue> ls (md/0)/boot

"erorr: unknown filesystem"

pretty sure that is the swap space.