Re: MacOS VM on Debian: is it reasonably possible?

On 22/11/2022 21:44, hede wrote:

Whilst I had mistakenly believed that CentOS was a freeware, open source
kind of MacOS clone,

CentOS was derived from Red Hat Enterprise Linux and was mostly compatible to RHEL.
"May God rest its soul."

and found that it is not, when I searched for it, I
had understood that a freeware, open source kind of MacOS kind of clone,
is available, and, when I searched on  the three word combination - open
source macos - I found, in the results, the above URL.

So, as an observer, I wonder whether licencing restrictions apply, to
running MacOS on Linux, as a virtual machine.

If you click through the links on that page, it looks like Apple is
just linking to the source code for open source components used in
their operating systems (things like awk, bash, bind, bzip, etc.), but
the operating systems themselves are certainly not open source, and
cannot be legally used except in accordance with Apple's license terms
and / or applicable law.

Darwin is the core of modern Apple OSes. It is Open Source and POSIX compatible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)

But there are plenty of Closed Source parts missing to form either macOS or iOS from it. Both - macOS and iOS - are proprietary OSes where you have strict license terms to fulfill to use it. One of them is  - AFAIK - buying Apple Hardware and running the OS only on Apples Hardware.

hede

All the more reason to run only Linux.

:)

..