Re: gpg says no user ID

Hi Thomas,

Here's some feedback while looking at things from 10,000 feet. There
are several problems with processes and documentation.

On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 3:14 AM Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> Thomas George wrote:
> >  I am going to erase every thing I have done and start over.
>
> There's no need for starting over. The SHA512SUM file is meanwhile
> authenticated by your run of:
>
> > > gpg2 --verify SHA512SUMS.sign SHA512SUMS
> > > [...]
> > >   gpg: Good signature from "Debian CD signing key <debian-cd@lists.debian.org>" [unknown]
> > > [...]
> > > ...gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
> > > ......There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner
> > > ...Primary key fingerprint: DF9B9C49EAA9298432589D76DA87E80D6294BE9B
>
> The warning is normal with the Debian keys and can be ignored.

This is a security usability problem. How is a non-expert to know that
this warning can be ignored, while others must be tended to?

(The answer is, the non-expert does not know. The system needs to be
fixed to accommodate the user. The user should not have to accomodate
the system).

> Important is the key fingerprint, which is published on
>   https://www.debian.org/CD/verify

>From the page:

    To ensure that the checksums files themselves are correct,
    use GnuPG to verify them against the accompanying signature
    files (e.g. SHA512SUMS.sign).

The page does not provide a prescriptive recipe on how to do what it
says to do. The documentation should include a prescriptive recipe. A
prescriptive recipe lays out the exact steps a user should perform,
similar to what you're doing in this email.

>   Key fingerprint = DF9B 9C49 EAA9 2984 3258  9D76 DA87 E80D 6294 BE9B
>
> I would leave it to copy+paste and the computer to compare the strings.
> Remove the blanks from the published number:
>
>   echo "DF9B 9C49 EAA9 2984 3258  9D76 DA87 E80D 6294 BE9B" | sed -e 's/ //g'

Something needs to be fixed here. The user should be able to use that
string as presented. I don't know where the problem lies (GnuPG
maybe?), but whatever verifies the signature should consume that
representation since it is a common representation.

> which will respond by
>
>   DF9B9C49EAA9298432589D76DA87E80D6294BE9B
>
> Copy+paste the result and the string reported by gpg --verify to a
> comparison command:
>
>   test DF9B9C49EAA9298432589D76DA87E80D6294BE9B = DF9B9C49EAA9298432589D76DA87E80D6294BE9B && echo MATCH
>
> which responds by
>
>   MATCH

> So now you only have to verify the SHA512 checksum of the ISO by
>
>   sha512sum -c SHA515SUMS
>
> and watching out for the response
>
>   debian-11.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso: OK

One last thought... https://www.debian.org/CD/verify should probably
be moved to the wiki. The page would already be updated if the world
could edit it. (I can say that as a fact since I would have already
modified it). As a static web page, it is bit-rotting because only the
Debian webmaster can edit it.

Jeff