Re: how do i configure lynx browser as default browser for html

On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 01:23:27 +0000
"jindam, vani" <jindam.vani@disroot.org> wrote:

> i have installed debian bullseye on userland
> app. i have disabled recomnend packages for my
> entire packages. i have installed openbox. when
> i click "web browser" it does not launch
> "lynx browser". i have changed x-www-browser
> to lynx. how do i configure my system to
> use lynx browser for html files, open links,
> open in external viewer, etc..?

You don't indicate your desktop, which may be significant.

For one thing, there may be other alternatives you might need to set:

root@jhegaala:~# ls /etc/alternatives/*www*browser*
/etc/alternatives/gnome-www-browser  /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
root@jhegaala:~# ll /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Oct 10  2021 /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser -> /usr/bin/vivaldi-stable*
root@jhegaala:~# ll /etc/alternatives/gnome-www-browser
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Oct 10  2021 /etc/alternatives/gnome-www-browser -> /usr/bin/vivaldi-stable*
root@jhegaala:~#

In addition, XFCE (which I use) has its Default Applications app
separate from alternatives. Right click on the desktop -> Applications
-> Settings -> Default Applications Your desktop will likely have some
such.

And there is also the Debian sensible browser.

root@jhegaala:~# ll $(which sensible-browser )
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1230 Jan 12  2021 /usr/bin/sensible-browser*
root@jhegaala:~# file $(which sensible-browser )
/usr/bin/sensible-browser: POSIX shell script, ASCII text executable

It depends in part on the BROWSER environment variable, which on my
system is not set. It manages to produce Vivaldi.

There is one I haven't figured out yet. If you mouse over a URL in
xfce4-terminal, the terminal will underline the URL. Right click, and
the menu will offer to open the link. On my system, that still brings up
Netscape.

And there are probably other ways to launch a browser I haven't yet
stumbled across.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com