Re: Allocate tty1 for kernel messages

Am 25.09.22 um 17:25 schrieb David Wright:
On Sun 25 Sep 2022 at 17:01:23 (+0200), Dmitry Katsubo wrote:
I am trying to make a following setup on Debian bullseye:

* tty1 is used to display kernel messages only
* tty[2-5] are allocated for login

I have modified /etc/default/console-setup so that it reads:

ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[2-5]"

and rebooted. What I observe is that tty1 displays kernel messages during the boot (OK) but also ends with an invitation for login on tty1 (WRONG).

How can I force that tty1 is not used for login?

I think you still need to run:

# dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

to get that variable enacted. Then check that the file
/etc/console-setup/cached_setup_keyboard.sh, which AIUI
is what does the work, has been modified.

That's similar for a lot of configuration parameters
in /etc/default/.

Cheers,
David.

Hello,

first of all disable login on tty1:

systemctl disable getty@tty1.service

Then in /etc/systemd/journald.conf:
(or in one of the conf.d folders, see man journald.conf.d)

ForwardToConsole=yes
TTYPath=/dev/tty1

Will do it.

Best regards