Re: Will firefox-esr move to version 102 in bullseye?

On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 7:53 PM Tixy <tixy@yxit.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 2022-09-24 at 18:46 +0100, Tixy wrote:
> > On Sat, 2022-09-24 at 18:52 +0200, Anders Andersson wrote:
> > [...]
> > > What's more, I no longer have to continue my research about
> > > hardware-accelerated video playback in the browser which prompted all
> > > of this - it just started working automatically after the upgrade.
> >
> > I just checked and you're right, no more tearing :-)
>
> Actually, I'm wrong, just ran tearing test video from YouTube and
> latest Firefox still tears, will stick with Vivaldi.
>
> --
> Tixy

Yes, I may have been "lucky" in the sense that I probably already had
the prerequisite libraries installed, and had perhaps already messed
with the required settings. There seem to be two orthogonal components
necessary to get smooth fullscreen video from youtube in firefox:
"Accelerated web page rendering" and "Hardware accelerated video
decoding".

For what it's worth, I now get smooth fullscreen 1080p video from
youtube with very little CPU load on a state of the art 14 year old
CPU and mediocre Radeon RX 460 from 2016 on a 3084x1600 monitor, all
on a standard debian stable gnome+wayland+firefox and free drivers (as
far as I know!) so it's definitely doable without much tweaking other
than having the right packages and maybe one or two settings in
firefox.