OT: Bug (or feature?) in (old) kmail: "Undisclosed Recipients" (was: Re: Which MTA for from-based smarthost selection, local delivery and queuing?)

On Thursday, September 08, 2022 10:54:20 AM rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> Sorry, this is a test email.  Not sure how to do it "off list" (more
> explanation later, maybe)

Interesting.

Sometimes when I'm working on a reply to an email, I try to "disable" the
address so that I won't accidentally send it before I intend to (either fat
fingering something or forgetting that I meant to cover something else).

I do it in various ways.  In a recent post that started in this thread (unless
the thread got "unthreaded"), I attempted to disable the address by inserting
a space after the @ in the debian-user address.

I forgot about that, clicked send, and the email actually got sent, but the
From: was shown as "Undisclosed recipients".

I don't know whether I should consider that a bug or a feature ;-) But I'll
disable email addresses some other way in the future.

Because it is an old version of kmail, the same behavior might not occur in
newer versions.

--
rhk

If you reply: snip, snip, and snip again; leave attributions; avoid HTML;
avoid top posting; and keep it "on list".  (Oxford comma included at no
charge.)  If you change topics, change the Subject: line.

Writing is often meant for others to read and understand (legal agreements
excepted?) -- make it easier for your reader by various means, including
liberal use of whitespace and minimal use of (obscure?) jargon, abbreviations,
acronyms, and references.

If someone else has already responded to a question, decide whether any
response you add will be helpful or not ...

A picture is worth a thousand words -- divide by 10 for each minute of video
(or audio) or create a transcript and edit it to 10% of the original.