Re: Seeing progross during fsck on boot

On Fri, Sep 02, 2022 at 12:31:35AM +0200, DdB wrote:
> Just thinking about your request ...
>
> Imagine this: You run "fsck -N ..." and get a rough estimate about the
> time necessary to get the I/O and the job done, then it would be easy to
> set up some timed countdown in parallel with the real fsck job, just for
> you to have an idea about the time left.
>
> Alternatively, copy the whole device to another place, peform the fsck
> there and decide, if copying back the result would be faster of just
> running fsck on the original device.
>
> What i am intending to make you think about: Sometimes it is way more
> difficult and time consuming to get a rough estimate of some result,
> than to actually just get it for real. (You may talk to some math PHD
> about that.) ... not worth the effort, because even you would prefer to
> get the result as fast as possible and not wait twice the time just to
> know ahead of time, when the job is likely to finish.
>
> Does that make sense to you too?

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Rereading my original request, I think perhaps I wasn't entirely clear
on a couple of points:

1) When there server starts, the default behaviour is to fsck the disks
if they have been longer than 120 days (or something like that) without
a fsck.  It's a server and runs 24x7, so you can bet your bottom dollar
that if if it does reboot, it will need to fsck.  You can also bet that
it was an uncontrolled shutdown because the UPS caught fire or
something, so it's probably wise to run fsck.  I haev no issue with this
happening

2) I'm not too worried about how long it's actually going to take.  The
main issue is that I've had a couple of instances where the box has
rebooted, I've sat around waiting for it to reboot, wondered why it
hasn't, plugged a monitor in and seen jack on the screen, then just as I
panic about what major issue could be wrong with it and key CTRL+ALT+DEL
to see if I missed anything... I see the disk lights are solid on and
assume it must be running fsck.  Sometimes it does find some erros and
spits that out to the screen.  Otherwise it just sits there like a dog
that's been shown a card trick.

Maybe I'm being nostalgic but I seem to recall in days gone by that fsck
printed a progress bar out of hashes to show how it was getting along.

Someone asked about the file systems in use.  Some are ext3 and some are
ext4.

TL;DR: When my server boots up and decdies to spent four hours fscking
the disks, I'd just like to see some indiction that it's still alive and
doing something :-)

Regards,
Mike.