Re: failing HDD, ddrescue says remaning time is 7104d

On 8/31/22 15:35, David Wright wrote:
On Wed 31 Aug 2022 at 14:02:19 (-0700), David Christensen wrote:
On 8/31/22 06:25, ppr wrote:
I would appreciate advice from the community about a failing hard drive.

When booting up, the computer complained about /dev/sdb, which is
a ext4 HDD with data (not the computer main disk). dmesg shows
`AE_NOT_FOUND` and  `failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED` messages
(full dmesg log at https://hastebin.com/raw/jebelileru).

It has finally booted after trying unsuccessfully to start /dev/sdb.

Comment out the /etc/crypttab and/or /etc/fstab entries for the failed
drive.  When you mount the drive, mount it read only.

I don't think it's wise to mount this disk at all, and certainly not
before everything that can be rescued from it has been obtained and
copied/archived.

First sentence -- You don't want the OS to access the drive on the next boot.

Second sentence -- I should have prefaced that with "after ddrescue has finished".

Consider doing the work in chunks.  You
should already have sectors 0- 33 GB.  Skip 33 GB and/or 34 GB.  Do
35-100 GB.  Then, 100-200 GB, 200-300 GB, 300-400 GB, etc..  Get the
good sectors first.  Do the problem sectors last.

Agreed, though ddrescue should be able to do this more flexibly, and
automatically, with -K.

RTFM [1], I don't know if I would use -K. Take a look at the examples given at the end of section "4 Algorithm" and in "10 A small tutorial with examples" (examples 3 and 5 look relevant to the OP).

David

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/manual/ddrescue_manual.html