Re: failing HDD, ddrescue says remaning time is 7104d

On 8/31/22, tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 03:25:36PM +0200, ppr wrote:
>> I would appreciate advice from the community about a failing hard drive.
>>

> [...]
>
>> I did not try to mount the HDD. I plugged an external HDD (ext4) and
>> launched ddrescue. After two days it has recovered 33GB of 1TB but the
>> speed
>> are now so slow it will take 7104 days to complete.
>
> External means an USB enclosure? Depending on the USB this might be the
> bottleneck.

My experience is that a session's reboot freshness affects transfer
statistics, too. In addition to starting with a new reboot, I will
also rsync single directories. Doing so means the system is will be
churning away at, choking on less data while it grapples with copying
that data over to other media.

Since that method of attack leaves room for the human error of
accidentally skipping over directories, I'll run the entire setup one
last time at the end. Doing so does on occasion catch something I've
missed.

Cindy :)
* runs with birdseed *