Re: Bug - remote DNS monitoring

On Aug 30, 2022, at 1:40 PM, Nicholas Geovanis <nickgeovanis@gmail.com> wrote:

When you run check_dns by hand on Host B, you don't say who you are logged-in as. That can make a difference. Nagios runs its scripts in a known environment which may be different than you expect.

Thanks for the question.  I have run the check_dns script with:

 - an arbitrary, unprivileged user
 - the nagios user (also unprivileged)
 - root (gasp!)

They all work just fine.  Also, in every case, I run tcpdump, and I can see the DNS queries and responses going back and forth just fine.  In the strace messages, I can also see that the DNS messages were written and read properly.  I think the issue is in nslookup, some time *after* the send/recv.  But I can't narrow it down much more than that.

Casey