Re: Debian 11 - KDE and NumLock

Amn composed on 2022-08-26 06:14 (UTC-0400):

> Every time I restart my Acer Aspire E5-771G running Debian 11 I find
> that NumLock is off, is there a way to set up Deb11 to automatically
> turn on the NumLock?

There are many opportunities for NUM to be toggled. For those this frustrates:

1-Ensure BIOS is set for numlock ON

2-The kernel ruthlessly turns off NUM. This can be countered by enabling

	numlock.service

# systemctl cat numlock.service
# /etc/systemd/system/numlock.service
[Unit]
Description=numlock

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/numlock
StandardInput=tty
RemainAfterExit=yes

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

3-Alone 1 & 2 may not be sufficient. If using LightDM as login greeter, you may
need to install numlockx package and add to its config file:

	greeter-setup-script=/usr/bin/numlockx on

If using SDDM as greeter, /etc/sddm.conf needs added:

	Numlock=on

4-Regardless of 1-3, NUM can be turned on for Plasma sessions via systemsettings
as described by Brad's response re Plasma keyboard settings in hardware section.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata