Re: Debian 11 - KDE and NumLock

On 8/26/22, Amn <amnojeeuw@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there!!
> Every time I restart my Acer Aspire E5-771G running Debian 11 I find
> that NumLock is off, is there a way to set up Deb11 to automatically
> turn on the NumLock?

Hi.. You didn't name which desktop environment you're using so I'm
sharing what I found in LXQt. For this one, I can go to:

* Applications dropdown menu
* Preferences
* LXQt Settings
* Keyboard and Mouse
* Keyboard (lefthand column in window that pops up)
* Checkbox that says "Turn on NumLock after login

The main desktop environments *try* to follow a similar pattern for
very basic User features like that. Hopefully you'll be able to find a
similar path to success in whatever setup you're using.

As an aside that I've only recently tripped over myself: Searching the
Internet for tips like this sometimes leads to a way to add a line to
"dot" rc files that reside in our User /home directories. When we do
that, that's a handy feature that would carry across if we bind that
same home directory to different versions of Linux. As an example, I
once added terminal color tweaks that carry across.

The downside would go back to that same thing. Maybe we don't want to
carry that tweak across the various Linux flavors we use. Sometimes
doing so causes irritating glitches. I've experienced it with favorite
background images being blocked, just as a very simple example.

Glitches happen to me solely within Debian if my home directory is
used across e.g. both Bullseye and Bookworm. It's no big thing. It's
just about them being ever progressively different, period. Yay,
Developers!

Cindy :)
* runs with birdseed *