Re: how to change device number in RAID array

On 8/22/22, Gary Dale <gary@extremeground.com> wrote:
> I'm running Debian/Bookworm on an AMD64 system. I recently added a
> second drive to it for use in a RAID1 array. However I'm now getting
> regular messages about "SparesMissing event on...".
>
> cat /proc/mdstat shows the problem: active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[2] - the
> newly added drive is showing up as [2] instead of [1]. Apparently mdadm
> thinks there should be another drive sitting around as a spare.
>
> Is there a simple way to fix this?

Disclaimer: I've never done this, but I found the following while
playing along via Internet search:

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Mdstat

They show multiple different scenarios reaching out to e.g. [5] where
different numbers are missing in theirs, too.

You know what.. this section:

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Mdstat#md_device_line

You're seeing my second email on this. In the first one, I referenced
my experience with Thunar occasionally doing odd things with renaming.
My original email had asked if there was a chance that the device in
question had been dropped then automatically (or even manually)
reattached. That seems to be what they're saying there ("Notice that
there is no device 3.")...

Maybe. :)

Cindy :)
* runs with birdseed *