Re: Using (old) Ubuntu libjpeg packages to allow some older programs still running on recent debian

Maris, Rob wrote:
> Next I describe a case which make me think that Debian has less a focus on keeping less recent lib packages part of more recent debian versions. More important: two other packages part of both Ubuntu and Debian prove to result in removal of old programs on Debian, but not on Ubuntu!
>
> Regarding better backward compatibility: libjpeg8 and libpeg62 exists both in Ubuntu (till today); but in Debian only the latter. In my case I had to install libjpeg8 from ubuntu on my debian-based system (as well as gstreamer0.10-plugins-good)

You have created a FrankenDebian.

If you need to keep an old application running and you can't
fix it to work with new libraries, you have entered the world of
dependency management. Some general solutions:

- run an old version of the operating system in a VM. This is
  the most reliable method.

- use a container to supply exactly the versions of the
  libraries that the old application needs. This may eventually
  stop working when kernels or libc or similar basic
  infrastructure gets upgraded, but is pretty good otherwise

-dsr-