Virtualization anomalies

Folks:

I'm running an Intel Core i3, model 10100. According to Intel's spec
sheet on their site, this CPU has VT-x (virtualization) support. From
what I've read, this shows up in "lscpu" as the "vmx" flag. When I run
lscpu on this chip, that flag doesn't show up. As a result, I can't run
any of the virtualization options (virt-manager, etc.).

(As a point of reference, an older CPU I had in a different machine
(6th gen i5) *did* show this flag when I ran lscpu.)

I'd like to upgrade the CPU to a model which does support
virtualization. But I'm afraid I'll just end up with another chip which
Intel says works with virtualization, and lscpu says doesn't.

Can anyone explain this discrepancy, or provide insights?

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
Personal Blog: http://noferblatz.com