Re: Help: disk swap

tony composed on 2022-07-27 12:37 (UTC+0100):

> I turned on my main home server after a few weeks absence,  and got
> smoke from its power supply. Fortunately, I have a backup system, which
> does work; both are running Debian 10, so I swapped use to that machine.
> and am able to work with that, but some of the files and settings are a
> bit out of date.

> I decided to move the disk from the broken machine to the backup, but on
> booting I'm dropped into a grub screen saying disk id <blablabla> not
> found. Not entirely surprising perhaps.

> So, how do I get it to recognize, and boot from the old disK.

It could be as simple as striking the right key at POST. If you have two UEFI PCs
and the disks were installed in UEFI mode, you might be able to select the foreign
disk with a BBS key:

BBS Boot Keys

[*]ASRock	F11
[*]Asus		F8
[*]Biostar	F9?
[*]Dell		F12
[*]eCS		F10
[*]eMachines	F10
[*]EVGA		F7
[*]Gigabyte	F12
[*]HP		F9 or ESC or ESC,F9
[*]Lenovo	F12 or F8 or F10
[*]MSI		F11
[*]Toshiba	F12

If one PC was configured to use legacy mode while the other UEFI, you might need
to go into BIOS to enable the other mode.

There are all sorts of reasons possible for your predicament. David's reply covers
many ways to minimize or eliminate the inconvenience of a PC or disk failure, and
includes your providing information for helping us to help you.

One possible way to encounter your non-recognition situation is to add the other
disk rather than substituting. Swapping SATA cables between the two drives with
both installed at once might work around that issue.

The "name" Gene's reply refers to is called a volume label, easier for mere humans
to deal with than the UUIDs Grub uses by default, and referred to by Jude. Use
e2label or tune2fs to assign labels where they don't already exist on EXTn
filesystems. Volume labels are how I do all native Linux filesystem mounting and
booting, never UUIDs.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata