Screenshot with Gnome

I am trying to take a screenshot of a selected area. The Wiki here:

https://wiki.debian.org/ScreenShots

says I can use "take screenshot" from the menu. On my menu I have
"screenshot" but it doesn't work (although I think it used to) it just
displays a tiny box which I cannot make larger.

Assuming the command line is:

gnome-screenshot -a -d 20

I tried this but the mouse pointer immediately changes to a cross and I
cannot change tasks, so all I can do is photo the terminal window.

I think something is broken. Maybe there is another utility?