Re: Debian Backports for Debian 11 Bullseye

On Mon, 2022-07-25 at 06:18 -0400, Timothy M Butterworth wrote:
> All,
>
> I have the following repos configured for Debian backports but I am not
> getting any updates. Are these the right repos?
>
> deb https://www.deb-multimedia.org bullseye-backports main

That's not Debian, it's an unofficial repo that has a long history of
causing compatibility problems, but I guess you knew that?

> deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-backports main contrib non-free

Looks right, and if I add it to my /etc/apt/sources.list I get 775 new
packages listed in aptitiude.

If you want a specific backport package, you have to explicitly install
it as they have a lower priority than the main repo and won't
automatically upgrade packages in the stable release. You wouldn't want
that as backports aren't tested as well as stable release and I don't
believe are supported by the security team.

--
Tixy