Re: stopping job before shutdown.

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 08:42:44PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Will Mengarini wrote:
> > I feel old.
> > http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/B/Big-Red-Switch.html
>
> Me too. This button pressing for shutdown frightens me.
> Two years ago i had to craft a molly-guard for the on-off-button
> on top of this box:
>   https://static3.caseking.de/media/image/thumbnail/geph-004_geph_004_05_800x800.jpg
>
> I cut a small piece from the transparent lid of a CD case and rasped
> it to have elegantly rounded corners. A stripe of transparent tape
> serves as hinge. It's not obscuring the blueish light ring around the
> button and the disk activity LED in the little hole but still highly
> safe against human error.

Nice :-)

You could teach your operating system to ignore the ACPI event, then
you'd have to lean on the button for three interminable seconds to
havoc your file system (although file systems tend to take hard
shutdowns without too much fuss these days, ah, they don't build
things like they used to ;-)

Cheers