CUPS bugfix vs upgrade?

After troubleshooting assistance from the Debian Printing team, I was advised to report my non-printing driverless printer issue upstream, which I have done.

https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups-filters/issues/472

Given that driverless printing works in CUPS 2.4 (on Ubuntu 22.04) are they likely to fix 2.3.3 in Debian stable, rather than just suggest Debian updates cups[-filters/whatever] in stable?

That is, assuming Canonical hasn't just fixed whatever the issue is in Ubuntu.

Does anyone know if cups 2.4 in Debian testing is in a suitable state to consider (exceptionally) adding to stable?

Alternatively, is it advisable to downgrade to a known-working version from Buster?

Thanks,
Gareth