Re: stopping job before shutdown.

On 6/29/22 08:35, mick crane wrote:
hello,
Because I don't trust that I've set up power saving properly with PC and monitor if leaving desk I turn off PC with power button on front.
It usually is very quick and to start up again.
There is printer attached to other PC.
Recent update of bookworm when turning off PC with power button there is the message,
" stopping job, make Cups quicker for external" or something like that.
and it takes 1 minute 30 seconds to stop that and start shutdown.
What could be causing that ?

mick

That method of stopping the pc is quite dangerous to the hard drive, you
may kill the power while the journal is updating the drives contents,
wrecking the file system and parking the head on the disk instead of
retracting it to a safe parking position. Don't do it, look in the menu's
for the logout and shutdown and do it in the recommended sequence
which will assure that the drive remains good until something else goes
aglay.
.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)