Re: MAC address of bridge interfaces

Steve wrote:
>I upgraded a Debian machine from stretch to bullseye and see
>a change of the IP address of a ethernet bridge interface.
>
>The bridge has a physical LAN interface as one fixed bridge port
>and additional ports for kvm virtual machines I may start.
>
>Before the upgrade the bridge interface got its MAC address from
>the physical LAN interface.  With Bullseye this is no longer the
>case.  Instead, the MAC address seems to be generated "somehow".
>At least, this new address is fixed and doesn't change on each
>reboot.
>
>But how is that MAC address generated?  Is it stored somewhere?
>Can I set it to an address of my own preference?
>And why was this changed, why don't we still use the address of
>the physical port connected to it?

In my experience, the bridge may end up advertising the MAC of any/all
of the underlying interfaces, and that behaviour can be racy
sometimes. I noticed locally that *sometimes* I'd lose IPv6
connectivity from my workstation when I started bridge VMs. Eventually
I worked out that the MACs from the VMs were causing my bridge to
change IP. Now I've modified things:

auto br0
iface br0 inet dhcp
      hwaddress XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

(substitute your own MAC address here) and it all works flawlessly
now.

"We're the technical experts.  We were hired so that management could
 ignore our recommendations and tell us how to do our jobs."  -- Mike Andrews