Re: Status of Virtualbox in debian

On 6/21/22 07:35, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
On 21/06/2022 11:53, Siard wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 00:05 +0100, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
On 20/06/2022 14:55, Siard wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 14:21 +0200, Anders Andersson wrote: :
www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#additions-linux

I should also note that right now there appear to be problems with the latest kernel, 5.18.0. The message in the terminal where VB was started from, says: "WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
available for the current kernel (5.18.0-1-amd64) or it failed to load."
Probably a temporary problem. When starting Debian with the previous kernel
5.17.0, VB still works.

Thanks for the quick response. Without correctly functioning guest additions - by which I specifically mean USB - VirtualBox is almost useless for me. I would agree with you that kernel 5.18.0 is the most likely source of the problem and living on in hope is the best option.

Hey folks -- I was OP on the thread that raised the dmks issue; with thanks to Keith Bainbridge, ensuring linux-kernel-headers for 5.18 were installed, and then reinstalling virtualbox and virtualbox-dkms resolved the issue for me.  I can confirm this is working on 5.18.0-1-amd64 right now.

Peter HB