Re: new install: configuring ethernet strangeness

John Covici composed on 2022-06-18 04:21 (UTC-0400):

> Hi.  I just installed Debian Bullseye on a refurbished computer which
> I am going to use as a voip server.  Now, due to my ignorance, at the
> very end of the install, I selected to use #12 which said standard
> system items.

> Well, to my horror, I got gnome with all its dependencies.  I ran
> apt-get and purged all the gnome items.  However, my outgoing
> connection instead of being in /etc/network/interfaces is now managed
> by network-manager.  I don't want to use the gui, but there seems to
> be no good way to configure the connection, should I need to do so.
> /etc/systemd/network is  empty.

I think nmcli handles anything the GUI could, but I never have NetworkMangler
installed to test it.

> So, how can I either get back to /etc/network/interfaces or somehow
> manage the existing connection which is buried in
> /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/  and is readable, but I could
> never change it.

Configure the interface in (e.g., for eth0) /etc/systemd/network/eth0.network.
Disable "managed" resolver; populate /etc/resolv.conf.
# systemctl enable systemd-networkd.service
# systemctl disable systemd-networkd-wait-online.service

The above is the short version of how I've been converting all my static
networking installations, which is all of them, minus the laptops. In addition,
your old networking config/system needs to be fully disabled and/or purged.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata