Re: debian-user message size limit

On 2022-06-17 19:01, Gareth Evans wrote:
On 17 Jun 2022, at 23:25, Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> wrote:

Actually I didn't store the emails from some point in 2004 through part of 2008.

So I can't say when the limit was lowered but at least from 2009 until now there hasn't been anything over 101KB (103,424 bytes).

Bijan

Thanks for taking the time and effort to do that and letting us know.

No worries! I love extrapolating from data.

Actually it just occurred to me that I scanned the sizes, based on the filesizes of the Maildir files on my mail server, and not the actual sizes of the messages as sent to the list.

So taking the largest message from 2009-2022 that was:

103,384 bytes long

And finding it on the list archive:

https://marc.info/?l=debian-user&m=125432953215932

And downloading the raw message the size was actually:

99,925 bytes

So I guess the limit is likely 100 decimal kB. 100,000 bytes.

Bijan