Re: How to change lightdm background in bullseye? (additional: weird stat behaviour)

Am Thu, 16 Jun 2022 23:26:38 +0000
schrieb Lee <ler762@gmail.com>:

> > [greeter]
> > background=/usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/foo.png
> > user-background=/usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/foo.png
>
> Do those files exist?  There's no /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/ on my machine..

No, these files don't exist ;-)
I changed the name to foo.png in the email because the original name
contained information I didn't want to share.

But yes, the directory exists (initial install was Debian 8) and the files
referenced also exist.

> This works for me
> $ cat lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf
> [greeter]
> background = /usr/share/desktop-base/spacefun-theme/login/background.svg

My original file /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf actually contained
a lot of lines with comments about the options. I copied only the relevant
stuff (what I _believed_ was relevant) into the email.

> Try installing lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings
> I get a lot of error messages but it did change the background for me.

It works.
The settings editor removed everything else from the file and now there's
only those two lines left.

I'm really curious to find out what in the original file caused problems.
I'll restore it from my backup and check that.

Thanks!

Christoph