Re: which X11 app can show wifi info

On Wed 15 Jun 2022 at 11:16:40 (+0200), Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2022-06-15 00:19:54 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> > > For security reasons, I don't want to run them as root.
> >
> > Then don't run them? You can put  wpa_cli status  into sudoers
> > so that it will only run with that command.
> >
> > > The iwlist and nmcli utilities don't need root to work correctly.
> >
> > Run them then?
>
> The OP wanted an X11 app,

I'm aware of that, and I did say that I didn't know of one.

I only use wpasupplicant on one machine that has a flaky wifi, which
doesn't get on well with iwd. (It's a 2004-vintage laptop.) I
configure/check/debug the wifi at the console. Waiting for X to drag
itself into existence before checking out the wifi would be a big
time waster. So I don't install wpagui, don't know what it does,
don't know how it does it.

> while iwlist and nmcli are just command-line
> utilities (though one may want to write a script to show information
> in an X11 app, a text terminal or something else?). But my remark was
> mainly: the iwlist and nmcli utilities can get the information as a
> normal user, so there is a major limitation in wpa_gui and wpa_cli.

Yes, thanks for the wishlist bug.

When the demise of wicd became apparent (wicd hides the need to know
anything about wpasupplicant), I looked around for a replacement, and
came across:

https://lwn.net/Articles/770991/

That article put a damper on my reading up on anything about
wpasupplicant for the time being. I've found iwd works nicely
in bullseye, but don't bother with the buster version (which
is way back in the iwd development cycle).

Cheers,
David.