Re: Frozen mouse and keyboard

On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 09:21:58 +0100
Mick Ab <recoverymail123890@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a fairly new desktop PC running Debian 11. Recently there have
> been a few occasions when the PC has failed to
> be woken up in the morning after being left overnight. The mouse and
> keyboard are frozen. Sometimes the monitor appears to be off and on
> one occasion it was on.
>
> A hard reboot has been used to reset the PC, but it is not a good
> idea to keep doing that.
>
> There is also a worry that if there is a hardware fault, the situation
> might get worse over time.
>
> Has anyone any idea as to what may be causing the problem and what
> would be the best way to try and solve it ?
>
> I anticipate it might be difficult to solve the problem given that the
> fault is intermittent.

The usual recommendation for a first test is to see whether there is
any network activity e.g. response to ping or ssh. Also try Ctrl-Alt-F3
to see if a console is reachable as X might have problems.

Have you checked logs to see whether there is anything suspicious
before the freeze? If there isn't, the odds are in favour of a hardware
failure.

If that looks to be the case, I'd open up the machine (assuming it's
not under warranty, if it is, it's someone else's problem) and reseat
all the movable connectors and RAM. There's less chance of contact
problems with SATA than with the big old PATA connectors, but it's not
impossible. 'Fairly new' it may be, but connectors which aren't locked
can be jarred half-way out by transport. We can probably rule out a
build-up of dust yet, but if the machine is very quiet, and modern
machines tend to be, the fan might have died. There will be a lot more
troubleshooting tips around the Net.

--
Joe