Re: grep: show matching line from pattern file

On Thu, Jun 02, 2022 at 03:12:23PM -0400, duh wrote:

> $cat -n /var/log/syslog | grep warn
>
> and it found "warn" in the syslog file and provided line numbers. I have
> not used the -f option

You're getting the line numbers from the log file.  The OP wanted the line
numbers of the patterns in the -f pattern file.

Why?  I have no idea.  There is no standard option to do this, because
it's not a common requirement.  That's why I wrote one from scratch
in perl.