REvisiting "Tool for investigating dependency chains?"

In my original post [1] I said:

I'm in the process of doing some idiosyncratic minimalistic installs using the "--no-install-recommends" option of apt-get.

What I would like to do is enter the package name. The tool's response would
be a list of the recommended packages and their associated description from
packages.gz. At the moment the referenced repository would be a distribution DVD.

berenger.morel@neutralite.org responded with a discussion about using aptitude's visual mode.

That has multiple problems:
  1. My original goal description was inadequate.
  2. My target environment has changed.
  3. From his description I don't completely grok how to use aptitude's
     visual mode. The man page is not helpful as it is not intended to
     be a tutorial but more a reference work to refresh the memory of
     one already familiar with a specific tool. I searched for a
     tutorial covering the visual mode. *BUT* the ones I found only
     mentioned it in passing and all examples were pure command line.

Clarifications:
  1. What I'm looking for would essentially depict the gemological
     relations resulting from
       apt-get install --no-install-recommends mate-desktop-environment
     [Something resembling a hierarchical directory tree desired.]
  2. The tool would be run under Debian 9.13 with MATE DE.
     The data would be from the then current repository of Debian
     stable.
  3. I'd like a pointer to a tutorial showing the actual usage of
     aptitude's visual mode.
     Entering just "aptitude" in MATES terminal gives a BLACK screen.
     Entering "aptitude /" in MATES terminal gives an error scree ending
     "This aptitude does not have Super Cow Powers."

TIA

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2013/10/msg00365.html