Re: Apache2 404

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 06:28:19PM +0000, ldmkolxm@yahoo.com wrote:
>  Thanks for the verification.  However, I still have the 404 problem and I have no clue where to look next.

****SIGH****

I am not sure you are helpable.  Other people have already tried.  I
am going to try *once*, and if that doesn't work, I'll give up.

You need to provide details.  At a bare minimum, you should have started
out with the basic details to describe your issue -- what you did, and
what you got as a result.  You also need to answer the specific questions
that people ask you.

You have already been asked this question, and I am asking it again
right now.  You will answer it, or you will not receive any help, because
it is NOT POSSIBLE to help you without the answer to this question:

==> What is the URL that you used, when you got the 404 error? <==

Beyond that, I would ask you to use some common sense and describe the
basics of your setup.

1) Are the web browser and the Apache web server running on the same
   machine?

2) If they're on different machines, how are those two machines connected
   to each other?  For example, are they both on the same local area
   network, with ethernet cables connected to a common router/hub?  Or
   is one of the machines on the Internet?

3) What operating system and version is the web server's machine running?
   What version of Apache is installed on it?

4) Paste the actual virtual machine configuration file that you're using,
   and indicate its exact filename.  One of the ways to do this is to
   open a terminal, and type "cat /etc/apache2/whatever" at the shell
   prompt.  Then copy that entire terminal session, including the shell
   prompt, and the command you typed, and the output of that command,
   into the body of your email.  Which you are composing in a text editor
   in a terminal on a Unix-like system.  Not web-mail.  Not Windows,

5) What URL did you try to use in the web browser?

6) What error do you see in the web browser?

7) What error(s) do you see in Apache's log files?

That's just basic stuff.  Common sense.  Nobody should even have to ask
you for that.

Finally, here's one more question that I don't recall seeing asked yet,
but could be important:

8) How does the machine which runs the web browser resolve the domain name
   that you used in your URL?

E.g. does the web browser read it from an /etc/hosts file, or the equivalent
on a non-Unix system?  Do you have a local DNS nameserver which serves
this domain?  Do you have absolutely no idea how it works, but your network
administrator said it would?

What happens if you try to ping the domain name from a command shell on
the web browser's machine?