Re: rsync trying to load rdiff-backup

On Mon, 9 May 2022 at 07:24, AC <debusersQ743@acarver.net> wrote:

> Due to some version mismatch issues I'm trying to switch over to rsync
> from rdiff-backup for backing up some files on my systems.
>
> On most of them this has worked with no issue but I have one system that
> appears to be trying to load rdiff-backup whenever I run rsync:
>
> root:~# /usr/bin/rsync testfile user@remote.host:testfile
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 20, in <module>
>      import rdiff_backup.Main
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'rdiff_backup'
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(235)
> [sender=3.1.3]
>
> I don't understand why it's trying to load rdiff-backup, the traceback
> is a giveaway that it's running Python but I explicitly called out the
> path to rsync and I know it's not a python script:
>
> root:~# less /usr/bin/rsync
> "/usr/bin/rsync" may be a binary file.  See it anyway?
> ^?ELF^A^A^A^@^@^
>
> This is all happening on Buster but I have three other Buster systems
> that ran with rdiff-backup and I can run rsync fine on them without
> rdiff-backup running.  What's the deal here?

Hi, answering this might require knowledge of rdiff-backup, which I
don't have. But the first thing I would check is to compare the
/usr/bin/rsync file on the bad system with a good system.

Do you get the same output as my four commands below?

$ cat /etc/debian_version
11.3
$ rsync --version
rsync  version 3.2.3  protocol version 31
[...extra output elided...]
$ type rsync
rsync is hashed (/usr/bin/rsync)
$ md5sum /usr/bin/rsync
b09b45b5eb0ff5275805aadff1d0ed86  /usr/bin/rsync
$