Re: customize Debian 11 evironment in lightdm (and in general?)

On Fri, May 06, 2022 at 02:30:59PM +0200, Giovanni Biscuolo wrote:
> On my laptop, inside LXTerminal:
>
> systemd---gdm3---gdm-session-wor---gdm-x-session---lxsession---lxpanel---lxterminal---bash---pstree

Aha.  It's a (grand)child of lxsession, just as with David's.

> I'm sorry I was not clear enough, but all my processes /do/ contain
> .xsessionrc variables, except for XDG_DATA_DIRS that is reset by
> "something"

> No , because in my ~/.xsessionrc (and only there) I have this variable:
>
> export XSESSION_WAS_HERE="Yes"
>
> and if I check that variable via "env | grep HERE" in an LXTerminal
> (or xterm, ot Mate terminal) started in LXDE I can see that variable is
> configured;  this is why I'm pretty sure my ~/.xsessionrc is actually
> inherited by my Xsession

OK.  Then it sounds like something in between the Xsession and the shell
is indeed overwriting that XDG_DATA_DIRS variable.

According to your pstree output, those processes include lxsession,
lxpanel and lxterminal.  You could start with those.  Of course, there
could be other processes that are not shown, because they're exec'ed
out of the picture.

Remember, one of the tools available to you is looking at the initial
environment of a process, either by using ps with the "e" option, or
by reading the /proc/PID/environ file.  The latter is NUL-delimited,
so you'd want something like this:

unicorn:~$ tr '\0' '\n' < /proc/$$/environ | head -n5
SHELL=/bin/bash
QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1
LESS=-X
QMAILSHOST=wooledge.org
QMAILHOST=wooledge.org

I find that a lot more useful than ps e.  Of course in your case you
wouldn't use |head, but probably |grep XDG_DATA_DIRS.

If you see the desired variable value in, say, lxpanel but not in
lxterminal, then you have a pretty good idea of where the overwrite
occurred.