Re: Networking book recommendation

On 5/3/2022 10:35 PM, Tom Browder wrote:
On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 15:18 john doe <johndoe65534@mail.com> wrote:

On 5/3/2022 9:42 PM, Tom Browder wrote:
I'm about to sign up for a fixed IPv4 address to my home. I know a bit
about setting up simple internal networks, but want to make sure I'm
doing it all correctly and securely. Does anyone have a good book they
recommend for such use?

What do you mean by "correctly and securly", the networking is never
secure.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Depending on what you need, you might want firewall ...

I'm considering HaProxy downsteam from the router.

That also brings the question, why do you need a static IPv4 address?

I'm moving my webservers inside.

I've learned my networking knowlage by reading on line or asking
questions when I'm stuck! :)

So I can not recommend a book.

Here are some comments in addition to this thread:
- Do not use the router capability provided by your ISP.
This is mainly to avoid letting your ISP remotely control the thing and
disable the firewall for example.

If you can, use your own router.

If your ISP requires to work with their router put the ISP thing in
'bridge'/modem only mode, this will allow to get your public IPv4
address to your own gateway.

- Use VPN to access your servers remotely.

I find it easier to use a VPN (responsible for public remote connection)
to connect to my own network then use SSH (responsible for private
remote connection) to connect to my intranet devices

This also give you two layers of authentication and you have separate
services.

--
John Doe