Re: Networking book recommendation

On 5/3/22 17:14, Tom Browder wrote:

I appreciate all the responses, and I realize, once again, that I should have given a little more background for the question:

I have been running 10+ websites using SNI on Apache on two leased remote servers for many years. I am now moving the whole operation, gradually, to operate out of my home on my own Debian server. During those years I've had several hardware failures that were hard to deal with remotely, hence the decision to come home (especially since I now have a bit more space for the additional equipment).

I have been using a firewall and iptables to minimize inbound traffic, but the details some have sent are very helpful for my current plan.

In addition to the webserver being accessed externally, I will be sshing into my home server while traveling.

Thanks to all.

-Tom

Have you thought of using a small VM in the cloud?  I have been running a droplet at Digital Ocean for several years.  For $5 a month I get a fast 1 cpu VM, 25G of file space, 1 G of memory and a static ip address.  I have several web sites there, email for my family, and at times a VPN.  I run Debian ... its just like my other systems so its easier to maintain.  I use the free letsencrypt service for the certificates for my web sites. The only other cost is for the DNS names for my sites (which you would need if you did this from home).

I access it over ssh on a non standard port to keep the knockers out.  I use ssh keys to login with passwords disabled.  If you mess up you can access the site over a web based shell access.  I use shorewall for my firewall (iptables based) and fail2ban to watch my logs there to block ip(s) that are up to mischief.  I also block ip ranges of China and Russia.

Depending on your needs you may need more memory or file space but for $5 a month this has been a great way to host my web sites, email and VPN.  You could even set up a VPN to connect back to your system at home when you are on the road.  So this keeps all the traffic off your home systems and network.

--

...Bob