Re: Dual booting Debian on an Windows machine.

Hi,

i have to add some technical nitpicking for the archives:

IL Ka wrote:
> I am not aware of any document, but here is how UEFI boot works

  https://uefi.org/specifications
current is UEFI Specification Version 2.9 (March 2021)
  https://uefi.org/sites/default/files/resources/UEFI_Spec_2_9_2021_03_18.pdf
although i still read
  https://uefi.org/sites/default/files/resources/UEFI_Spec_2_8_A_Feb14.pdf
when it comes to discussions.

> Harddrive is GPT-labeled and it has a partition with a special EFI flag.

It may also be partitioned by an MBR partition table.
(UEFI 2.8, 5.2.2 OS Types:
 "0xEF (i.e., UEFI System Partition) defines a UEFI system partition."
)
Debian ISOs boot from USB stick by such an MBR partition.

In GPT the EFI partition is specified to be marked by type GUID
12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B.
(UEFI 2.8, Table 23 Defined GPT Partition Entry - Partition Type GUIDs)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas