Re: file born 30 seconds after its creation on ext4 - bug?

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 10:45:09PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Another option might be that your system's time was "reset".
> This shouldn't happen, but it can happen if your NTP was down, the
> machine got out-of-sync over time and you restart the NTP server at
> which point it may(!) decide to jump the clock if the difference is
> large enough (i.e. too large to catch up gradually).
> Can't remember how large is "large enough".

It would depend on which NTP implementation is in use.  The traditonal
"ntp" package should not do a large jump like that, except at boot.  It
should just make the clock drift toward the correct time.

Other implementations may be more aggressive about it.  Debian 11 uses
systemd-timesyncd by default, but I don't know how it behaves.  I've
not used chrony either.  I did experiment with openntpd for a while, but
it was many years ago when it was pretty new, so it might have changed
a lot.

In any case, that's a clever theory.  The OP could look for evidence of
an NTP time jump in whatever logs survive from the offending time
period.