Re: HTTP Proxy

On Wednesday, 27 April 2022 14:04:43 EDT Larry Martin wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Thank you.  That makes perfect sense.
>
> > On Apr 27, 2022, at 2:02 PM, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
> >
> > Larry Martin wrote:
> >> Dan,
> >>
> >> Thank you for the prompt reply.  I am still having problems.  I
> >> enter my IP address as 192.168.1.45 and all appears to go ok. When
> >> it gets to the point of connecting to a mirror site it fails.  I
> >> have left the proxy blank.  Any suggestions?>

That address will not go thru a router, it is an assigned private block
(192.168.xx.zz) that you can set up for your home networks, so you will
need to setup a NAT scheme in the router and let it handle the details. I
do that here for 6 machines full time, and they all have free run of the
net. And with the router running dd-wrt or one of its ilk, it stands
guard, allowing nothing coming in that wasn't asked for. And its been
standng guard here for 20 years now with no penetrators.

> > Hi, Larry.
> >
> > The etiquette on open source user mailing lists is to always
> > reply to the list, optionally copying the respondent. This is
> > for several reasons:
> >
> > - many people will see your reply and be able to help, not just
> >
> >  one
> >
> > - many people in the future will see the archive and thus be
> >
> >  helped in turn
> >
> > - it doesn't presume that the person who answered your question
> >
> >  is going to take responsibility for solving your whole
> >  problem. We're not paid, we're your fellow users.
> >
> > -dsr-
>
> .

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)