Re: Crucial SSDs and Debian Bullseye

On 27.04.2022 20:37, Tom Browder wrote:
If either of those fail to see it, I’m afraid I toasted it. I don’t think that will qualify for a return.

What makes you think that way?
It is next to impossible to actually mishandle and "toast" a device simply by unpacking it and connecting to a SATA port. (Even when PC is powered on¹). SSDs are not fragile, they are electrically compatible with SATA standard, so both data and power port parts won't do any damage to a device, no matter how old or new the hardware is. If you won't manage to get it working with another PC, then you simply got a faulty product and have a warranty to get it replaced. I've seen a fair share of faulty brand new devices in my life, memory sticks, motherboards, HDDs. This is rare nowadays and I don't handle large volumes of PC parts anymore, but it still happen here and there.

¹ It is still a risk and is not recommended at all. It is always safer to do any work with powered off computer and disconnected battery if it is a laptop.

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org