Re: email lacks sender address

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 03:31:05PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Wed 27 Apr 2022 at 15:38:21 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 01:42:05PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > lenin.histomat.net appears to be unrouteable. How a remote system would
> >                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > deal with that is anyone's guess.
> >
> > unresolvable (i.e. there's no (MX) DNS record "out there" for it) is what
> > you want to say?
>
> I did mean that. Thanks. OTOH, histomat.net is resolvable.

If mailname (the value of /etc/mailname) is supposed to be my FQDN,
then that would be lenin.histomat.net

  $ hostname -f
  lenin.histomat.net

  $ nano /etc/mailname
  lenin.histomat.net

True, an MX record refers to a domain name and so I suppose can make
no sense of a domain prepended with a hostname.

So should the value of /etc/mailname be a FQDN or simply a domain
name?

If the latter, then the question is how my installion of the operating
system managed to get it wrong. During network setup I entered the
hostname lenin and domain name histomat.net. Or at least that was
my intention.

In /etc/hosts I have the line:

  127.0.1.1       lenin.histomat.net      lenin