Re: Do I need a new hard drive?

On 4/24/22 15:37, Charles Curley wrote:
On Sun, 24 Apr 2022 14:07:14 -0700
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

On 4/24/22 12:08, Charles Curley wrote:
I have three hard drives in a RAID 5 array.

What is the make and model of your motherboard?

ASUS H97M-E

I'd call that a multimedia desktop board:

https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/H97M-E/HelpDesk_Manual/

My experience with ASUS motherboards is limited to one, and it died sometime after I shorted the power supply with a 2.5" IDE HDD cable adapter. (So, the motherboard death was likely to be related.)

RAID HDD's?

I will assume all three HDD's are the same make and model, per smartctl(8) report below.

How is the motherboard connected to the HDD's?

SATA. All hdds are on the motherboard,

What is on the other ports -- /dev/sda is optical? /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc are other two HDD's?

SATA cables -- Color? Locking or non-locking connectors? Came with motherboard or aftermarket? If the latter, make and model?

and the DVD drive is connected via an expansion card:

Okay.

Please post the output of (redact serial number, etc., as desired):

# smartctl -x /dev/sdd

I did the short test at 12651 hours today after the error messages I
gave in the last email.

smartctl 7.1 2019-12-30 r5022 [x86_64-linux-5.7.0-2-amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-19, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Western Digital Red
Device Model:     WDC WD40EFRX-68N32N0

Western Digital Red Plus NAS hard drive:

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-red-plus-sata-3-5-hdd#WD10EFRX

SMART Extended Self-test Log Version: 1 (1 sectors)
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%     12651         -
# 2  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     10026         -

You ran a short test two hours ago.  You ran a long test 3 to 4 months ago.

Please save all current SMART report(s).

Please run long tests now on all three drives. Save all of the reports. Post the report(s) for any drive(s) with SMART failures and/or dmesg(1) errors.

On 4/24/22 12:08, Charles Curley wrote:
> I have three hard drives in a RAID 5 array. This morning my motherboard
> went wonky and crashed. USB devices on the motherboard are acting up. I
> cannot reboot to Debian.

What were the symptoms?  Any more clues since then?

So, Debian on the RAID 5?

Anything in the M.2 socket?

Do you have a power supply tester? If so, does the PSU test okay? If not, get one -- bad PSU's can cause all kinds of malfunctions, and can destroy hardware.

Have you run memtest86+?

David