Re: macchanger - is it still working?

Am Sonntag, 24. April 2022, 16:53:49 CEST schrieb David Wright:
Hi David,
> So what are the contents of /etc/default/macchanger (after all,
> putting ENABLE_ON_POST_UP_DOWN=YES would be interpreted as the
> default, ENABLE_ON_POST_UP_DOWN=false), and what's getting logged
> in /var/log/macchanger.log?

It is set =YES
> It might be worth checking when macchanger is attempting to make its
> change and see how this compares with when systemd is changing the
> name of the relevant interface.

It can be changed, whenever I set the interface to down (so that it is not in
use), thus telling me, macchanger is generally working.
> BTW, looking at the package, the last entry in
> /usr/share/doc/macchanger/changelog.gz is dated 2004-05-10 and the
> last in /usr/share/doc/macchanger/changelog.Debian.gz 17 Jun 2018.

Hmm, there are some similar bugreports related to this issue, too.
Let us hope, the mainatiner does fix them.

> As you're running systemd, any reason you're avoiding using its
> own method?

Yes, because it does not work! However, for me personally I can fix it by
editing those files myself. But I am thinking of all the other people, who
want software, that is working.

For myself, I will often find a solution, but I know a lot of people, who are
much less experienced than myself - those are in my mind (and are in the
devlopers, too, I hope).
> Cheers,
> David.

Best